Er.. I don't get it. If Phonograph is the cylinder thing and gramophone is the disc thing, why does gramophone redirect to here. As gramophone is by far the more successful of the devices then surely either phonograph should redirect to gramophone or gramophone should have its own page. (anon)

As the article says, what is called a gramophone in UK English is called a phonograph in American English. The the cylinder and disc technology, early on, had little difference other than the shape of the record. The article discusses both phonographs and gramophones (UK usage); perhaps that should be made clearer at the top of the article. -- Infrogmation 15:32 May 12, 2003 (UTC)