50 things a biologist should know
The 50 things every biologist should know
- . What is an atom?
- . What is a molecule?
- . What causes water to be green?
- . What are the two laws of thermodynamics?
- . What are the four unique properties of water?
- . What three elements define organic compounds?
- . What is an element?
- . What is a protein
- . What is a carbohydrate?
- . What is a lipid?
- . What is DNA?
- . What is a gene?
- . What is natural selection? (Are evolution and natural selection synonymous terms?)
- . What is a chromosome?
- . What are the four principles of Mendelian genetics
- . What is a genome?
- . How is DNA replicated?
- . What is epistasis?
- . What are the sources of genetic variation?
- . What is epigenesis?
- . What does the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium predict, and what is the importance of the model assumptions?
- . How have continents moved and how has that affected the formation and distribution of species?
- . What is evolution?
- . What is the difference between micro and macro-evolution?
- . Can you read a phylogenetic tree?
- . What are the kingdoms of living organisms?
- . Finish the following Kingdom, Phylum\uffff^\uffff\uffff etc
- . What is the "Evolutionary Synthesis"?
- . Is evolution progressive?
- . What comes first: the adaptation or the selective pressure?
- . What is meant by the "inheritance of acquired traits", who made this claim, and why was he wrong?
- . What is the object of natural selection?
- . Are cladogenesis and anagenesis synonymous terms?
- . What is a phenotype?
- . What is osmosis?
- . What are the key differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- . What is mitosis and what happens during mitosis?
- . What is meiosis and what happens during meiosis?
- . What are the cell organelles and what are their functions?
- . What are the key differences between plant and animal cells?
- . What is a cell?
- . What is photosynthesis?
- . What is glycolysis?
- . What is the Kreb's cycle?
- . How does energy flow and matter cycle?
- . What is a trophic level?
- . How does water cycle?
- . Can you describe the cycles for key nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, carbon)
- . What is biomagnification?
- . What is the Theory of Island Biogeography?
- . What are r and K selected life histories?
- . What is an ecosystem?
- . What are Newton's Laws?
- . What are the key organs in the human body and what are their functions?
- . What are Theories, hypotheses and predictions and how do they differ?
- . What are the important plant structures and their functions?
- . What is homeostasis and why is it important?
- . What is the scientific method?
- . What is a confidence interval?
- . What is an ANOVA?